Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I think my husband might have chronic pancreatitis. He has a recurring pain under his ribs that starts on the left and moves right. His gall bladder was removed a few years ago.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
various investigation are required before reaching a diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Have read your details and appreciate your concern.

Chronic pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas that does not heal or improve,it gets worse over time and leads to permanent damage. Chronic pancreatitis gradually slows down a patient's ability to digest food and make pancreatic hormones and juices.
A combination of blood tests and imaging scans to make a diagnosis. serum amylase and serum lipase blood tests may show a rise in your level of pancreatic enzymes. Ultrasound doppler, MRI and CT scans of pancreas can reveal the size of your pancreas and whether you have a blockage of the bile and can provide a much clear picture.
Treatment- There is no cure for chronic pancreatitis, some patients can reduce the symptoms and make up for nutritional deficiencies.Usually given digestive enzymes like Papain and vitamin by external source.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana