Suggest treatment for chronic pain

Posted on Thu, 29 May 2014 in Mental Health
Question: Please explain why a chronic pain patient, who has been butchered by a surgeon, is out of control, has no self-extreme, and unable to socialize because of excruciating pain. I was a normal, happy, 63 year old; now I'm 66 and going to a doctor in one specialty doesn't answer all the questions and I'm up to here, but, I need my husband to understand what chronic pain can do to the physic.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic pain can cause depression

Detailed Answer:

I read you your in great detail. I can understand what you would be going through. Chronic pain is a very difficult situation which can cause physical and psychological effects on a person. Chronic pain is directly linked to depression which further increases the sensitivity to pain.

Usually, the relationship between pain and psychological stress is bidirectional, that is, long term distressing pain leads to stress as well as stress leads to increase in a person's threshold to bear pain. This leads to further worsening of symptoms which can include decreased self esteem, sleep and appetite disturbances, difficulties in concentration, etc.

It adds to the pressure that normally most people including doctors other than the patient himself/herself are not able to understand what the patient might be going through. Emphatic listening to the patient's problem is very important in such cases. From what you have mentioned, I do feel that the same is happening to you too.

I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist for evaluation of your psychological symptoms. Accordingly, management with ant-depressants might be helpful in your case. You can also consider supportive therapy sessions with your psychiatrist which helps in expressing what you are going through and will help you get over this situation. I addition, the pain management will continue according to the advise of your treating physician.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Gupta 1 hour later
This has gone on for three plus years (the surgery, I was told could help with back pain ..... colorectal surgeon should not have said this. However, it's done. Living with me is difficult. My husband is so disciplined - a retired Major General - he is also kind and will do anything I ask, but days turn into weeks, etc., and it appears to him that my suffering is a matter of patience. I have no life: I am angry, depressed, off and on, and, if I walk, the pain begins, therefore I am useless to myself and others. Asking for help is extremely difficult. After all this being said, what can be said to my husband to understand that, just because I got dressed and went to a doctor, I had no choice; I cannot control the pain nor can I face the fact that he thinks I should move on....
He needs to truly understand the old me who couldn't sit still; pampered everyone around me, and ran the household while he was off playing "General" Is there a site I can go to? It's demeaning to me to have to explain myself.
Brief Answer:
Joint session with psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for following up. I really understand the frustration you might be facing considering that the one person in this world whom you will want to understand your condition is not able to do so. Having said that, as I have said earlier, its difficult for non-medical person to understand your condition. You have already mentioned that your husband is a kind person. So, it will just need to direct him to an appropriate place where he will be able to grasp what you are going through.

I will suggest taking him to a psychiatrist along with you. That way, the psychiatrist will help your husband understand your state as well as help you with your issues. That way, you won't need to explain yourself to your husband (the psychiatrist can try to make him understand in his own way). Also, if with treatment your pain comes down, both you and your husband will feel better.

I sincerely hope you get well soon. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. If not, you can close this query and rate the answer.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil Gupta

Psychiatrist