Suggest treatment for chronic pain due to multiple sclerosis

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Chronic pain and ms
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query,
Steady and achy types of pain in MS may be a result of muscles become fatigued and stretched when they are used to compensate for muscles that have been weakened by MS. People with MS may also experience more stabbing type pain which results from faulty nerve signals emanating from the nerves due to MS lesions in the brain and spinal cord.

The most common pain syndromes experienced by people with MS include:

headache (seen more in MS than the general population)
continuous burning pain in the extremities
back pain
painful tonic spasms (a cramping, pulling pain)
Musculoskeletal pain can be due to muscular weakness, spasticity and imbalance. It is most often seen in the hips, legs and arms and particularly when muscles, tendons and ligaments remain immobile for some time. Back pain may occur due to improper seating or incorrect posture while walking. Contractures associated with weakness and spasticity can be painful. Muscular spasms or cramps (called flex or spasms) can be severe and discomfiting. Leg spasms, for example, often occur during sleep.

Treatment of pain in MS

Exercise and physical therapy may help to decrease spasticity and soreness of muscles. Regular stretching exercises can help flexorspasms. Relaxation techniques such as progressive relaxation, meditation and deep breathing can contribute to the management of chronic pain.

Other techniques which may relieve pain include massage, ultrasound, chiropractic treatments, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS), moist heat and ice.

Pain from damage to the nerves in the central nervous system in MS is normally not relieved by the usual analgesics (such as aspirin). Drugs that treat seizures (like carbamazepine) and antidepressants (such as amitriptyline) are often effective in these cases. Treatment for spasms can include baclofen, tizanidine and ibuprofen.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal