Suggest treatment for chronic osteomyelitis
The swelling continued slowly and by May was infected--a drain was inserted and I had IV antibiotics. The swelling lessoned but never totally resolved, and this month i have infection again. Another drain and more meds. Question: Is this likely to be chronic? Can osteomylitis be cured at this point? I am at a good teaching medical center, but am concerned that this was not treated for many months, and now is recurring. Thanks for any general advice you can give.
This doesn't sound like osteomyelitis!
Hi and thanks so much for this query.
This doesn't sound like chronic osteomyelitis. Yes, osteomyelitis can be conveniently treated through surgery and medical interventions. In your case, you probably have a chronic soft tissue infection. This has continued and not well treated. I will suggest that you get a culture to identify the exact germ and what antibiotic works best for it. This will ensure that treatment goes smoothly. Furthermore, I will not advocate for surgical closure. I will want to allow the wounds to heal inside out through granulation. Closure probably traps germs inside and is responsible for the repetitive infections a while after closure.
I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Zyvox osteomyelitis duration of treatment
- Treatment and cure for chronic osteomyelitis
- Osteomyelitis treatment
- Chronic osteomyelitis causes
- Idsa chronic osteomyelitis
- Symptoms of chronic osteomyelitis
- Can chronic osteomyelitis lead to bone infection
- Drugs/medication for chronic osteomyelitis
- Diagnosis of chronic osteomyelitis
- Chronic osteomyelitis treatment guidelines
- CT scan showed cancer tumor inside liver. Swollen abdomen, little...
- Shaved around private parts and around base of penis. Bumps are like...
- Having blood pressure. Taking Sandoz Fenofibrate. Should I go for higher...
- Severe anal itching and rashes on buttocks. Suggest medication
- Stomach upset, gas and bloating. What could this be?
- Can I contract HIV through blowjob?
- Having swollen testicles. Could this be a sign of cancer?
- Had rectal prolapse surgery. Should I be concerned of having irregular...
- What causes numbness in toe?
- Is Hydrazine sulfate effective for cancer patients suffering from cachexia?