Suggest treatment for chronic migraine
Any issues with sumatriptan sir?
Hello sir and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us.
I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.
I would like to first ask whether sumatriptan is still effective for you sir, and how long you have been using it? If at all, sumatriptan is still effective for you then why would you want to experiment with other medications?
Triptans are typically used to treat migraine headaches and are very effective with minimum side effects. Are you worried about the drug interactions or have any other issues with sumatriptan?
I would sincerely appreciate some more information in order to better understand you requirements sir. I am more than happy to be of assistance to you sir.
Valance 500 mg OD most effective dose
Hello once again sir and thank you so much for your response with that information.
Sir, have you ever thought that the rebound headaches or even frequently recurring migraines could be as a result of a continuous exposure to a triggering factor? I too suffer from migraine headaches and due to my schedule, my sleep cycle goes berserk at times resulting in frequent headaches. I feel the key is to recognize all the triggering factors and eliminating them from your day to day routine. Some of the most common ones include: extreme change in temperatures, long gaps between meals, bad or poor sleep pattern (lack of sleep), hypoglycemia, chocolates, prolonged periods of watching television using the computer or smartphones, etc.
Please try to work on the triggering factors and avoid them completely instead of depending on medications completely.
Next, coming to valance. It is indeed a very good medication for migraines, but please note that the most effective dose of valance is 500 mg once daily. So, you should be taking 500 mg of this medication once daily and not less than this.
I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.
Thanks for your kind reply. I forgot to mention presence of two triggering factors since last 25 years in my life which are 1. Job related stress and 2. Family related stress causing reactive depression for which I was advised Alprazolam 0.5 mg tds. Later considering my rebound headache I was advised Amitriptyline 25 mg at night. But I have observed sluggish memory and loss of libido in me after one year use of Alprax and Tenolol. So in the light of above facts, my last queries are :
1.To decrease frequency of migraine attacks may I take Valance 500 mg od in the morning and Amitriptyline 25 mg od at night regularly ?
2. If yes, how long will I have to take it and then consider for revaluation ?
3. Do you advise me any specific CT / MRI test of brain for any suspected pathological changes in brain due to chronic migraine.
4. Any medication to get rid of sluggish memory and loss of libido ?
With this I finish my all queries. Point wise answers will be highly appreciated.
All queries answered sir
Hello once again sir.
Thank you for the information provided sir, I would be more than happy to help.
1. Yes sir, you can have valance 500 mg OD regularly. But, about the Amitriptyline being taken regularly and at night, it is best you confirm the same with your prescribing doctor. But it is also usually taken regularly.
2. Usually about 6 months to a year. But I think a re-evaluation would be best if conducted after 6 months and not later
3. I would advice an MRI brain, but not due to possible damage caused by chronic migraine but to find the cause for chronic migraine.
4. Both memory loss and loss of libido can have various causes to it sir. But the most common cause for both these symptoms are usually either hypertension, coagulation failure or a vascular condition sir.
I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of chronic migraine
- Chronic migraines and ivf
- How to treat chronic migraine
- Symptoms of chronic migraine
- What is treatment for fibromyalgia chronic migraines and seizures
- Treatment and cure for chronic migraine
- Chronic migraine neck crack
- Drugs/medication for chronic migraine
- Chronic migraine causes
- Chronic migraine headaches treatment
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...