Suggest treatment for chronic lip dermatitis

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I wrote last week about chronic lip dermatitis. I've been using protopic for about 5 days. fingers crossed , it seems to be working however I've been down this road a dozen times in the past 4 and a half years with this. it's maddening. how long should I give it and how do I know if it worked for good. Or is that not possible without another outbreak in a few days? this is the longest I've gone without desperately going back to the steroid cream.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
a deep rooted allergy and you do have an allergic tendency.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to HealthcareMagic,

First of all stop using all lip balms/lipsticks.
I am afraid, local treatments may not have lasting effect.

However, let us hope Protopic works.

If it again recurs-----
And if you use steroid creams, use only ones in which 'oral' is written so that it is safe to swallow.
I think you will require oral steroid tablets like Prednisone to be given until the dermatitis clears, followed by gradually tapering dose over several weeks to make sure there is no recurrence.

This is because it seems a deep rooted allergy and you do have an allergic tendency.

Please consult your doctor with this feedback.
Feel free to revert back.
All the best, and regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 6 days later
ok, I"ll pass this on to my allergist. so in recapping, you think I should be on an oral steroid for a few weeks? I've been on a 5 day steroid pack twice or maybe 3 times in 4 years. but it always came back. So what dosage do you suggest and for how long?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would put you on 2 tablets three times a day for 3 days after meals

Detailed Answer:
Hi, ---right.
with Omeprazole 20 mg also 3 times before meals.
Every 3 days I would reduce prednisone till I came to 1 tablet twice a day--for a week.
Then once a day for a week and then stop.
During this period you may need to increase your dose of spironolactone. to balance potassium loss due to prednisone.
You can revert back.