Suggest treatment for chronic lead poisoning

Posted on Mon, 20 Apr 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: As a child grew up in the close proximity to a large lead smelter. I have health problems that I wonder if might be caused by lead poisoning as a child. They include a malformed vertebra in my lower back, an undeveloped testicle and a lifelong issue with depression. I am now 48. I also seem to have below average coordination. Thanks. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Features are suggestive of chronic lead poisoning.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

I have gone through your case, I am of the opinion that the problems mentioned in your case with a history of occupational exposure are suggestive of chronic lead poisoning.

The signs and symptoms depend upon the amount of lead level in the blood.

Chronic exposure to lead may result in : headache, fatigue, irritability & depressed mood, wrist drop, growth retardation, or delay in development, bone growth retardation, muscle in coordination, anemia, small testes and decreased sperm count, kidney disease, etc.
In severe cases brain may also be involved.

The most important step in treatment is to prevent further exposure to lead.

I advice you to visit a specialized hospital for comprehensive treatment plan which includes
1. Chelation therapy:
Edetate (EDTA) calcium disodium or Dimercaprol given in the form of injections
and this is followed by oral chelating agent Succimer.
2. General supportive treatment.

I hope your query is being answered with possible treatment that can be available in the hospital.
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your present illness.
Do ask any doubt which is not clarified.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1988

Answered : 3570 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Edetate

doctor1 MD

will oral intake of calcium disodium edta, help remove a slight calcium deposit on the aortic valve . ?

doctor1 MD

I have by mistake swallowed a small amount of dettol antiseptic liquid. what can I do to ensure im safe and it doesnt harm me.

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

154 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction