• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic knee pain

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: My father,85yrs old,goes for haemodialysis 3 per week.Heart is ok.Has immense kneepain since 10yrs.Replacement ruled out.Any remedy? Painkillers not working now
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 minute later
Hi, In such cases, Physiotherapy is the best option.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Thanks Dr Varshney. Heard that some injectables are available to lubricate the knee joint. Are they succesful / practical?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, they are helpful.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Yes, Lubricating injections are given inside the knee joint. They have to some extent only, but when you don't have any other better option, you can go for this alternative along with daily physiotherapy.

For osteoarthritis, I would advice to practice knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises and to do hot fomentation of the knee. He can apply diclofenac ointment locally.

No medicines are found to be very effective in helping to build the cartilage back. However, Chondroitan sulphate and Glucosamine can be used. However, have not shown any benefit in trials.

Discuss with your doctor about using Tramadol for pain relief in joint pain as it is considered safe in kidney patients.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Anshul Varshney