• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic kidney disease

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am 57. I have first stage chronic kidney disease ...statistical only ( efg ? ) no symptoms or causes known.
3 weeks ago , i had a knee operation . Due to immobility i got a blood clot behind my knee .
I was prescribed 3 weeks of rivaroxaban ( 15mg - twice per day ) , yesterday i have just moved on to 20mg once per day ...bigger dose but only once per day . Does Riveroxaban damage kidneys ? If so would i be better having 10 mg twice per day ...if that is possible or even just 15 mg once per day

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
This dosing is standard

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The dose of rivaroxaban is quite standard and I see no reason to modify it. It doesn't damage the kidneys. If GFR is below 30 we should avoid it but it's not the case in you.

As clot in vein is a serious problem, I would prefer sticking to the proper dose in the absence of any side effects.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist