Suggest treatment for chronic kidney disease

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Dear Sir,
My father is heart patient and usually take medicines to control the blood pressure.
2 days back he got his blood test(KFT) done for angiography but he found in report that creatinine has reached to 1.4(normal limit is 1.20).
kindly suggest the next step to be taken to bring creatinine under normal range.

I forgot to tell that he is dabetic also and take Glided-m and glycerine trnitrate 2.6mg to control sugar.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
he has early chronic kidney disease.

Detailed Answer:

Hi XXXXXXX

I think your father has a early kidney disease. we need to evaluate why creatinine is rising. we should see some basic tests like-

urine routine to rule out urine infection
Ultrasound KUB with post void residue
complete KFT.
spot urine protein creatinine ratio.

telmisatan being used as blood pressure medicine can also be contributing to raised serum creatinine.

after these reports your treating nephrologist can modify your prescription to keep creatinine in check.

if you don't have a nephrologist there or you can come down to XXXXXXX you can meet me ( call 0000, 0000 for appointment).

meanwhile try to stop any nonveg intake, stop any painkillers if being used by the patient.

keep blood pressure below 130/90

best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar