• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic insomnia

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have been suffering from insomania seriously for 10 years. It was triggered with mental illness of our kids. Our son 29 pretty much disabled. He suffers from schizoaffective disorder. My daughter had bipolar depression. She is not fully okay. I am a prof in UK and 68. The doctors here first tried some antidepressants and since it did not work at all I had sevral long term therapy. including CBT suppposed to be the thing curec insomnia. It was a total failure.Then I started taking sleeping pills sometime 40 mg Zopidem for years. I was also then lured into 2 rehabs in CA with false promise to get rid of my insomania. They did nothoing just replaced the sleeping pill with some antidepressants. I could not sleep for months. After return I relapsed and resumed Zopidem. It was working fine. But it has become less effective. The Zopidem sometimes keeps meup. Very frustrating even I take 60 mgs. It is scary because I cannot sleep while travel. If I stop Zopidem the sleep becomes quite painful. I dont have any physical problem as Apnea, It is anxiety about the children I think and ofcourse harder to sleep as you get older.
Now what can be done, Stopping Zopidem will be a painful process but the dose leel seem to be getting higher. I have tried Zopiclone it did not work well.
Overall the life is painful withy kids problems but I like to stop Zopidem and be able to have 2 to 4 hour sleep per night.What do you think. Anuy sleep specialist that might be of help. Hope to phone you. Will be happy to give an additional fee to the sleep specialist and yourself.

Appreciate your thoughtful attention or any referal. I am covered under United. I am a retired professor from usa,
I live in fear children becoming homeless. Thyank you.

Please find a good insomania specialist. I have been cheated by psychiatrists stuffing me anti depressants and CBT therapist. Nothing helped. Now I wont be able to take Zopidem too long.The doses are getting larfer. I feel helpless.

Regards, Happy to talk.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I will try my level best to help you

Detailed Answer:
Respected Professor XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I like to inform you that I am a geriatric psychiatrist and actively engaged in helping the XXXXXXX citizens with their mental health issues especially sleep. I am not a sleep specialist per se but I think have experience of treating more patients with sleep problems than any of the sleep specialist in western countries.

I am saddened to know that despite the best efforts made by you and therapists none of the available option worked properly for you. Even I have answered your last post around 20 days back but it seems to me that seroquel was not helpful at all for you.

I again like to state that it is one of the best optional available (as per my experience among XXXXXXX citizens) and a trial should be given if not yet tried.

Regarding zolpidem I completely agree that the dose is too high an there is definite need to stop it all together or at least reduce the dose to less than 15 mg per day.

I will be happy to take your call at skype (ashok.budaniya).

Thanks again.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 32 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Can I take Zopidem for long term 15 mg. My children problem causes anxiety and that contributes. I also wanted to ask why sometime Zopidem does not allow me to sleep and makes me feel more energetic. Is there anything I can do. Can i do anything else. To talk to you over phone do you charge. Anyway I need to get cured. Are you able to prescribe in UK> If you have other ideas kindly help. My kindest regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Dear Professor XXXXXXX
Thanks for follow up.

Zolpidem can be used over a long period of time as the side effects are very much limited and it does not cause any form of addiction. There are some reports of tolerance over time but considering the advanced age possibility is very low for you.

Although zolpidem is not known to cause paradoxical effects in form of increased energy but it is possible that other factors are responsible for difficulty falling asleep even after taking zolpidem. The prominent causes include anxiety and stress. In my opinion a simple walk before taking zolpidem and after dinner can help you in this regard. It is important not to go for sternous exercise as it may be countejr productive. In addition steam inhalation before going to bed can help to some extent.

Regarding my prescription rights I like to make it clear that I have no rights to prescribe any medicine in UK. I mean it is not possible t prescribe without physically examining the patient.

Yes there are other options which include antipsychotics, antihistaminics, agomelatine, ramelteon among others.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 hours later
If you are in UK I will be happy to meet. Thanks,
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am based in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Dear Professor XXXXXXX

It would be my pleasure to meet you in person but I am located in XXXXXXX and have no plans to migrate anywhere in the world.

Wish you great health ahead.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist