question-icon

Suggest Treatment For Chronic Hives

Posted on Mon, 23 Oct 2017
Question: I have chronic hives CIU
what can I used to stop uncontrollable itching that want cause me to gain weight
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Second generation oral antihistamines are the drugs of choice for CIU

Detailed Answer:
Hell. Thank you fotlr writing to us.

I an Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Management of Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria(CIU) is largely symptomatic. I usually start my patients of CIU on a second generation oral antihistamine Levocetrizine. If that proves insufficient I add another second generation oral antihistamine e.g either Loratadine or Fexofenadine. Treatment is long term and largely symptomatic in CIU. These are prescription medications and although very much safe for long term use require regular follow up to assess response to treatment. Weight gain is not a side effect with second generation oral antihistamines. In addition to oral antihistamines I ask my patients of CIU to apply a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion on hives.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist