Suggest treatment for chronic hidradenitis suppurativa

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. I have been suffering from chronic hidradenitis suppurativa for a while now and recently I have had a foul smell coming from my armpits.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would like to know what treatment you have been taking.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for your query.

According to me foul smell in the armpits is suggestive of local pus formation.I would recommend medical management only in early stages of hydradinits and always prefer surgery as early as possible after the formation of pus(abscess) locally.

Additionally I would recommend-

Maintain local hygiene
Weight reduction if you are obese
Usage of ordinary soaps and antiseptic and antiperspirant agents (eg, 6.25% aluminum chloride hexahydrate in absolute ethanol)
Application of warm compresses with sodium chloride solution or Burow solution
Wearing of loose-fitting clothing
Laser hair removal

I would like to know what treatment have you been taking since the time you had dydradinitis?

Await your reply soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen