Suggest treatment for chronic headache and back pain

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, my husband has had chronic headaches for a long time, and back pain from running heavy equipment. He recently started having chest pains. ekg is completely different from 4 years ago and he is scheduled for an echocardiogram on Tuesday. In the mean time he is running fevers along with chest pains and headaches. All bacterial tests came back fine, white blood cell levels are fine, and 2 chest xrays are fine. he is taking Tylenol plus an antinflammatory pill, but not touching headaches and fevers are not quick to go down. Any ideas?

Forgot also he had to stop drinking beer altogether (not a heavy drinker) but at his 3rd beer he gets an immediate headache. Heart enzymes are good. and He has been tired for a few weeks, abnormally tired.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
please provide more information

Detailed Answer:

I'd like more information to help me get a better idea for his condition. I'll make it easier for you by asking some questions. You may of course add anything else you consider useful or relevant:
- when did the fever start? Does he have fever every day? How high? Does he have rigor (trembling/rattling teeth)?
- any other symptoms besides the headache like a new pain on the back (a localized one would be more helpful, like pain on a specific vertebra), cough, runny and/or stuffed nose, etc.
- please upload the reports of his tests. You can take a photo and upload it here or anywhere else and just send me the link.
- anything important in his medical history? Does he take any drugs? Any chronic disorders besides the headaches?
- how often does he get headaches? Does he have other symptoms when he has headaches? Like visual "sensations" for example (lights, floaters, etc). Does the headache involve a specific part of his head or is it all over his head, perhaps like a tight rim around his head? Does he wake up with a headache or does it appear later in the day? Does he have nausea and/or vomiting with the headache?

I know I've asked a lot of questions but they are important to get a rough idea about his situation. Most of the times "innocent" disorders are the cause but investigation is required...

I'll be waiting for your input.

Kind regards!