Suggest treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome

Posted on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 62 yr old male who has chronic fatigue and occasional severe chest pains about 3 inches below right nipple. Fatigue never goes away and chest pains come, usually go away in about 15 minutes. The pains have recurred over the last 20 years or so and sometimes do not surface for months in between. I am a former heavy drinker and have not had alcohol in 4 years. ( Elevated liver and pancreas enzymes) in previous blood tests but not since I quit drinking. I have had every liver/pancreas test including ultrasound, upper and lower GI and everything else doctors can check. I am told nothing is wrong with me. I do not know where to turn. My symptoms are real. The fatigue is so bad, sometimes I stay in bed all day. I sleep 8 hours on average and have to take naps daily, sometimes lasting for 3 hours. Where do I go from here to find out what is wrong with me?
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrom

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Thank you for writing on health care magic

Well, the fatigue is quite a problem which is always difficult to localize..Where could be the source.I would like to know a few more details before guiding you:

1. Is the fatigue worse in the mornings or night?

2. Have you experienced weight loss or appetite loss?

3. Do you have irritability with frequent bouts of tempers?

4. Any history of forgetfulness?

5. What other medications are you taking or tried for fatigue and pain

6. Any history of fever at the onset of fatigue?

DO let me know these queries.. Would like to guide you further from here. We need to rule out the serious causes first. If not pathological, we may be looking at other causes

Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naval Mendiratta 17 minutes later
I would have to say fatigue is worse usually in the morning, however, it is constant throughout the day. Sometimes spikes at anytime during any particular day.

Never any unintended weight loss or loss of appetite.
No more irritability than average and never any bouts of temper.
No forgetfulness other that what I consider average for my age.
Never had any meds for fatigue or chest pain.
No fever associated with any of my symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 36 hours later
Brief Answer:
Delayed Reply

Detailed Answer:
Good evening

Sorry for the late reply...Had a long duty and somewhere lost track of your message

Well, they symptoms you do have doesnt look like anything pathological. At your age, we normally do the routine blood tests( CBC, ESR, LFT, S.Creatinine, CPK, TSH, 25 hydroxy Vitamin d3, PSA), ultrasound of abdomen and a chest x ray as screening to rule out anything abnormal going on inside.

2. You should include Vitamin D supplements in your diet as the deficiency of Vitamin D is a known cause for fatigues

3. Once we confirm it is negative, there is any entity called Fibromyalgia. It is more of a diagnosis of exclusion..that is we have ruled out other serious causes .. The treatment will differ according to what we find to be abnormal...Once we have the diagnosis, treatment is not all that tough

Hope the information was useful

Do let me know for more queries

Dr naval

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist