Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for chronic eustachian tube dysfunction

Answered by
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2138 Questions

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctor, I am 65 years old and in generally good health and on NO medication. About 20 years ago while travelling I got an extremely sore throat which seemed to have gone to my left ear. After a 10 hour trip my ear was feeling full I felt slightly disoriented to the point I was compelled to find a doctor at night who said I had fluid in inner ear and gave me medication which seemed to fix it. Since then it has got progressively noiser and fuller feeling and gone to left ear. I went doc while in UK as I had a really bad infection in left with hot feeling and dead feeling around it. Antiobics improved it but he sent for MRI scan and checked for petrous bones and I had hearing test all of which there was absolutely no problem. My ears now 2 years on feel permanently full sometimes painfully and sometimes my right ear is wet in morning. I have slight discomfort across fore head and slight tingling in left side face,nose upper lip which seems to go away when I get up. My ear noise and fullness also is reduced during day. I also have varing amount of mucous going down back of throat at night which I can control by relaxing muscles or whatever is there. Occasional fleeting eye pain . I also get a funny tingling in skin on left shoulder blade after exertion not always and only rarely now.I hop you may be able to point me in the right direction as I feel my hearing is suffering more and more. I should mention that I have extensively travelled by car in excess of 3,000,000 kilos and have had to pinch nose and blow ears open on hills . I just bought an earpopper because of having good reviews but to no avail. Trust this make sense to and you can help. Regards. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is Chronic eustachian tube dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to answer your query.

You seem to be suffering from a condition called as Eustachian tube block or Eustachian tube dysfunction.
As it is present since a long time - "chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction" is the diagnosis.

The common causes of Eustachian tube block are allergy, common cold and cigarette smoke.

For treatment, it is important to avoid the cause. Other than that, treatment involves
1. taking anti-histamines/ nasal decongestants during episodes
2.nasal decongestant sprays can also be used for immediate effect.
3. Self - inflation of ears, by pinching the nose and popping the ear. Avoid during common cold as it can move the infection from nose to ear.

Finally if required, you can try Eustachian tube surgery to open it more.

It is important to identify the cause of irritation, which is irritating the mucosa, producing plenty of thick mucus fluids and blocking the Eustachian tube. This tube connects the nose and the ear and any block gives feeling of fullness in the ear.

I would require more clinical history/ details regarding eye pain and left should blade tingling sensation (could be early spondylosis) to comment further.

Do send more details, happy to help you again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 5 hours later
Can heart burn and bloating have any effect on this.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will not affect.

Detailed Answer:
Heart burn and bloating are related to gastro intestinal tract.

The above symptoms are related to Upper respiratory tract along with connecting tube to ear.
They are not related and will not effect. (It would not cause even eye pain or tingling sensation also)

Heartburn (due to stomach acid, reflux into esophagus) or bloating (due to collection of excess air, either due to ingestion during food, or due to less fiber in diet), if it is severe, might require treatment. If it is rarely seen, nothing to worry about.

Any further queries, happy to answer again.
If you do not have any further clarifications - you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Tingling sensation

doctor1 MD

When I woke up this morning, my left eye was blood shot, as if a vessel had broken. I have no pain, but I do have a slight tingling sensation . What may be the cause?

doctor1 MD

For about 3-4 weeks I get a sharp pain in my left shin (beside the bone), mostly when I stand up after sitting. Sometimes the pain shoots up the left side of my left thigh, and sometimes in my calf. I have difficulty putting my weight on my leg...

doctor1 MD

I have been having tingling sensation on my right shoulder. Only about four-five times a day. This has been going on for five days. Only lasts for 10-15 seconds. Feels like ants crawling on me.

doctor1 MD

I have a dear friend whom woke up one morning with a blackened/ red eye lid. There was a slight swelling but no tingle sensation/ numbness. The discoloration goes over her upper eye lid to almost her nose . She did not receive any trauma to the eye. There is no vision problems, and no other apparent symptoms? I am worried that this could be a secondary condition? I have researched this , and I have come up with no ideas. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

doctor1 MD

Doctor, I am an 18 year old male, I recently came back from a week in Cuba, and about halfway during my stay I started getting minor mouth sores (canker) and a slight tingling/irritation of the skin on the outside of my cheek of the responding side of the sores, very small bumps aswell leading from my lip/mustache line to my chin, slight redness, very small bumps (not visible, you have to feel) and slight dryness of skin, my oral hygiene is very good. I live in Vancouver and it is very cold. my doctor has prescribed me Cortate ointment for the skin on my cheek, but it does not seen to be helping.