Suggest treatment for chronic eustachian tube dysfunction

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi doctor, I am 65 years old and in generally good health and on NO medication. About 20 years ago while travelling I got an extremely sore throat which seemed to have gone to my left ear. After a 10 hour trip my ear was feeling full I felt slightly disoriented to the point I was compelled to find a doctor at night who said I had fluid in inner ear and gave me medication which seemed to fix it. Since then it has got progressively noiser and fuller feeling and gone to left ear. I went doc while in UK as I had a really bad infection in left with hot feeling and dead feeling around it. Antiobics improved it but he sent for MRI scan and checked for petrous bones and I had hearing test all of which there was absolutely no problem. My ears now 2 years on feel permanently full sometimes painfully and sometimes my right ear is wet in morning. I have slight discomfort across fore head and slight tingling in left side face,nose upper lip which seems to go away when I get up. My ear noise and fullness also is reduced during day. I also have varing amount of mucous going down back of throat at night which I can control by relaxing muscles or whatever is there. Occasional fleeting eye pain . I also get a funny tingling in skin on left shoulder blade after exertion not always and only rarely now.I hop you may be able to point me in the right direction as I feel my hearing is suffering more and more. I should mention that I have extensively travelled by car in excess of 3,000,000 kilos and have had to pinch nose and blow ears open on hills . I just bought an earpopper because of having good reviews but to no avail. Trust this make sense to and you can help. Regards. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is Chronic eustachian tube dysfunction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to answer your query.

You seem to be suffering from a condition called as Eustachian tube block or Eustachian tube dysfunction.
As it is present since a long time - "chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction" is the diagnosis.

The common causes of Eustachian tube block are allergy, common cold and cigarette smoke.

For treatment, it is important to avoid the cause. Other than that, treatment involves
1. taking anti-histamines/ nasal decongestants during episodes
2.nasal decongestant sprays can also be used for immediate effect.
3. Self - inflation of ears, by pinching the nose and popping the ear. Avoid during common cold as it can move the infection from nose to ear.

Finally if required, you can try Eustachian tube surgery to open it more.

It is important to identify the cause of irritation, which is irritating the mucosa, producing plenty of thick mucus fluids and blocking the Eustachian tube. This tube connects the nose and the ear and any block gives feeling of fullness in the ear.

I would require more clinical history/ details regarding eye pain and left should blade tingling sensation (could be early spondylosis) to comment further.

Do send more details, happy to help you again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 5 hours later
Can heart burn and bloating have any effect on this.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will not affect.

Detailed Answer:
Heart burn and bloating are related to gastro intestinal tract.

The above symptoms are related to Upper respiratory tract along with connecting tube to ear.
They are not related and will not effect. (It would not cause even eye pain or tingling sensation also)

Heartburn (due to stomach acid, reflux into esophagus) or bloating (due to collection of excess air, either due to ingestion during food, or due to less fiber in diet), if it is severe, might require treatment. If it is rarely seen, nothing to worry about.

Any further queries, happy to answer again.
If you do not have any further clarifications - you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr. Prakash HM