question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic dizziness

Posted on Wed, 20 May 2015
Question: I want to know what can be done for chronic dizziness. I've been Very dizzy for 3 years & it's not my ears. I've had numerous ct scans & IV infusions of Rotuxin to try & slow it down. I'v Lao had a spinal tap which showed antibodies in the spinal fluid. They've diagnosed me with cerebral ataxia. Help!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
3 possibilities

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your query.
I think I can help.
There are 3 possibilities i See-
1. As you said "cerebellar" ataxia.
2. Benign positional vertigo.
3. Bradycardia.
I feel you need to meet a physiotherapist if its a cerebellar ataxia. since your MRI is normal, I dont feel it will help.
BPPV can be helped by a physiotherapist as well. In addition you can ask for a prescription of Tab Vertin.
Also, you are on Metoprolol. This reduces the heart rate to reduce the blood pressure. If the reduction is too great, even that can cause vertigo. best to test with a ekg. If this is the case, you medicine will need to be changed.
Best of luck.
Feel free to ask a further query if needed.
Best of luck.
Dr Mittal
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist