• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: This question is for a 62 year old female who has had watery diarrhea for one month. The diarrhea is slightly better when fasting and much worse after a meal. She has tried increasing fiber in her diet by taking psyllium husk supplements but this has had a very minor effect. She has no history of recent antibiotic use.
She is currently traveling and will schedule an appointment with her doctor when she returns for any necessary tests. In the meanwhile, she has visited a GP in Dubai who has recommended a trial of antibiotics.
Can you please give us your advice on which antibiotic would be the best to use in this situation? Please mention dosage and duration as well.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Choice of antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

A diarrhoea for over a month is called chronic diarrhoea. The most common cause is not infectious but irritable bowel syndrome. Besides it needs to be checked if there is inflammation in the bowel causing diarrhoea like colitis. Next comes the infections where antibiotics are prescribed. I would like to know if tests were done to rule these out. Since you had already been to a GP I would assume necessary examinations and testing.
If I were the treating doctor, before the person returns to the country where she lives, I would opt for Tab Rifaximin 550mg thrice a day for 10 days. This is a prescription only drug and needs it for dispensing. This molecule would help IBS and infectious cause as well. This is non synthetic and non systemic so will stay only with gut and does not have severe side effects.

Please ask your GP's opinion before opting this.

Hope I answered your query.

Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 hours later
Thank you Doctor for the clear and concise answer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please close and rate the answer

Detailed Answer:
I am glad my perspective helped. Please close and rate my answer if you do not have any clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar