• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: This question is for a 62 year old female who has had watery diarrhea for one month. The diarrhea is slightly better when fasting and much worse after a meal. She has tried increasing fiber in her diet by taking psyllium husk supplements but this has had a very minor effect. She has no history of recent antibiotic use.
She is currently traveling and will schedule an appointment with her doctor when she returns for any necessary tests. In the meanwhile, she has visited a GP in Dubai who has recommended a trial of antibiotics.
Can you please give us your advice on which antibiotic would be the best to use in this situation? Please mention dosage and duration as well.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Choice of antibiotic

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

A diarrhoea for over a month is called chronic diarrhoea. The most common cause is not infectious but irritable bowel syndrome. Besides it needs to be checked if there is inflammation in the bowel causing diarrhoea like colitis. Next comes the infections where antibiotics are prescribed. I would like to know if tests were done to rule these out. Since you had already been to a GP I would assume necessary examinations and testing.
If I were the treating doctor, before the person returns to the country where she lives, I would opt for Tab Rifaximin 550mg thrice a day for 10 days. This is a prescription only drug and needs it for dispensing. This molecule would help IBS and infectious cause as well. This is non synthetic and non systemic so will stay only with gut and does not have severe side effects.

Please ask your GP's opinion before opting this.

Hope I answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 hours later
Thank you Doctor for the clear and concise answer
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please close and rate the answer

Detailed Answer:
I am glad my perspective helped. Please close and rate my answer if you do not have any clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1775 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Psyllium

doctor1 MD

I had a hemorrhoidectomy nine days ago I am in a very heavy pain, heavy cramps and strong pain on the BM. I am doing bath sits, take Colace,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have degenerative disc disease, stenosis, scoliosis, and fish hooks on my vertebra (there is a name for it, but I can t recall it at the...

doctor1 MD

I am a male, 27 years, vegetarian. I was having constipation 2 days ago and saw blood in my stool. This because of a wound near the anus. I started...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor, I am a 74-year-old female, 172cm tall, weighing 67kg. Two years ago I was diagnosed with colon cancer, had major surgery twice and...

doctor1 MD

I have been fighting this for a month but never get completely cleaned out. Up until the last couple of days I get a small movement but mostly get...

doctor1 MD

i have 15 year old son, who is having sporadic chest pain while swallowing food/drink and taking a deep breadth. it started yesterday evening in...

doctor1 MD

My husband is complaining of difficulty breathing and tightness in his chest. This happened shortly after dinner so he wondered if he ate too much...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

160 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
  • Q - Took oxandrolone treatment for few days. Will this cause any side effect?

  • Q - Feeling weak and dizzy after stomach flu. How to get relief?

  • Q - Drank a glass of phenyl. What should be done for cure?

  • Q - No sperm found in sperm analysis. Is there any medicine to create the...

  • Q - 59 years old. Passing semen with urine. What treatment should be done?

  • Q - Which specialist should I consult for pineal cysts?

  • Q - I pricked my palm on a rusty nail. Do I need tetanus shot?

  • Q - History of frequent heartburn. Having severe pain below rib cage during...

  • Q - Is the compositions for nalcon and falcon same?

  • Q - Child has fever, rapid heartbeat and started vomiting. What is causing...