Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had diarrhea for over a year, I had tests done over 7 months ago and nothing was found. I was told to eat the brat diet...15 minutes of eating my guts start churning been trying. it almost feels like the time I had GearDia.. I been trying to eat as if I had colitis but no difference. I've been trying to eat as if I were gluten intolerant..to no evale. I drink my required amount of water for my body weight everyday...the diarrhea as of lately is becoming more severe. I've not eatin much for the past 2 weeks just trying to give my bowels a break.. not helping!
I feel fine..
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The treatable and a common cause in chronic diarrhea is an infection. Half hearted and short courses of antibiotics fail to produce optimum results in a majority of patients with frequent relapses. A better approach in my clinical practice is to give combination empiric antibiotics like ofloxacin with metronidazole both for extended 2 weeks. Deworming with diloxanide furoate should also be done. Folic acid, B complex vitamins, fiber supplements, antispasmodics and vitamin D supplementation selectively can yield better results and enhance life quality scores for patient. If diarrhea persists beyond 2 to 3 weeks of therapy then an infective cause is ruled out and other causes should be explored. Stool R/E and culture should be done initially along with baseline investigations.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil