Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
160 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea in an infant

Answered by
Dr. Diptanshu Das


Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3803 Questions

Posted on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 15 month old baby Suffering with loose motion last night, near about 12 times. She have her body weight is 7.2 kgs. She also have fever between 102.5 to 101 degree. The color of stool is seems to be green. And the urine passed only two times in a day.....
doctor is prescribed enterogermina twice in a day, with zinc sulfate....also prescribed a crocin and taxim o syrup.

Please advise me is it the right treatment because the stools frequency is still on and urine frequency is drastacally down compare to normal days.
she also not want to take ORS due to taste.
please suggest me I have to continue on this treatment or I have to go hospital for IV or others things
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
s for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Diarrhea in children can occur due to a number of reasons but unless the stool is blood stained, antibiotics are not required. The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the lost water and salts. I understand that she does not want to take it. But it has to be given. Also give zinc supplements like zinconia syrup 5 ml once daily. Restrain from milk and milk products although you can give curd or yogurt. Be patient. The loose stools may take a few days to stop but till then if you give adequate fluids, no problem will occur. Monitor the number of times the child is passing urine. If the frequency is normal and if the child is active and fine, you need not worry. If lethargic and the urine output comes down, you would need to take him to a doctor without delay. It is then that she might require IV Fluids.

Give paracetamol to bring down the temperature. Tepid sponging will also help.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Loose motion

doctor1 MD

mainly whenever I we eat little spicy food then I will be having loose motion problem..can you suggest some medicine or syrup.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My baby(11 months old) is having slight loose motion since 10am. His last two meals are sambar rice at 9p and cerelac at 1130pm...

doctor1 MD

My stomach is bothering me, has been lightly on and off for 4 or 5 days. ate a lot today and this night I am up every 30 to 45 minutes with a dark...

doctor1 MD

I m staying outside in college hostel for last 2 months and the food is very spicy here. From last 3-4 weeks i m suffering from loose motion...

doctor1 MD

Hi,Am suffering from typhoid ,doctor prescribed indocin200,olzep-d,phase-am,himococid for the last 2weeks course.After 2weeks course i have loose...

doctor1 MD

hi.. im 24 years old.. two days before i ate a chicken rool with cold drink and since then im having a severe loss motion.. its just liquid coming...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor , my daughter is 16 month old , last night , what ever we are giving her To eat , she vomits , one of the doctor suggested to take ondem...