Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea in an infant

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 30 Mar 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,
My 15 month old baby Suffering with loose motion last night, near about 12 times. She have her body weight is 7.2 kgs. She also have fever between 102.5 to 101 degree. The color of stool is seems to be green. And the urine passed only two times in a day.....
doctor is prescribed enterogermina twice in a day, with zinc sulfate....also prescribed a crocin and taxim o syrup.

Please advise me is it the right treatment because the stools frequency is still on and urine frequency is drastacally down compare to normal days.
she also not want to take ORS due to taste.
please suggest me I have to continue on this treatment or I have to go hospital for IV or others things
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment

Detailed Answer:
s for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Diarrhea in children can occur due to a number of reasons but unless the stool is blood stained, antibiotics are not required. The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution) to make up for the lost water and salts. I understand that she does not want to take it. But it has to be given. Also give zinc supplements like zinconia syrup 5 ml once daily. Restrain from milk and milk products although you can give curd or yogurt. Be patient. The loose stools may take a few days to stop but till then if you give adequate fluids, no problem will occur. Monitor the number of times the child is passing urine. If the frequency is normal and if the child is active and fine, you need not worry. If lethargic and the urine output comes down, you would need to take him to a doctor without delay. It is then that she might require IV Fluids.

Give paracetamol to bring down the temperature. Tepid sponging will also help.