Suggest treatment for chronic depression

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I AM FEELING SO DEPRESSED, IT IS OVERWHELMING ME. I HAVE SIFFERED WITH DEPRESSION FOR MANY YEARS AND HAVE BEEN UNDER A DOCTOR'S CARE; BUT NOW IT SEEMS TO BE ALL I CAN DO TO JUST FUNCTION ... I AM WORRIED ABOUT MYSELF... NONE OF THE ANTI DEPRESSANTS SEEM TO DO MUCH GOOD... NOT SURE HOW WORRIED I SHOULD BE ABOUT HOW TERRIBLE I FEEL..
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need combination of antidepressants

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor would help you in this query.

I think, you are a case of chronic depression and in that case, you need combination of antidepressants. You haven't mentioned the list of antidepressants you were on. I could suggest you that you could try venlafaxine with mirtazapine as combination. This combination would help to control depressive symptoms and maintain your function. It would also help to get sound sleep without any other sedative. You can also consult a psychologist for psychotherapy.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chronic depression 57 minutes later
should I check into th emergency room?

what the hell am I supposed to do?
Keep suffering and Hope tha someone some where will help me or just jump infront of a semi?

are those m only choices?// I had tried so hard for so long and haven't given up but I am pretty much at the end of my rope...
Current Medication : Effexor. temazepam. adderaoll. xananx..
Medical History : hysterectomuygraves disease, gall bladderremoved.

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go to emergency

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are on effexor (venlafaxine). It is a good antidepressant and you can increase the dose further. With that, you can try mirtazapine with it. It would help to stop or control xanax dose. With it, there is no need to take any other sedative. These are not the only option, but the best combination according to number of studies. You can carry on adderall (amphetamine), as it is a stimulant. Better to consult a psychiatrist and psychologist. There is no need to lose heart. Just remember one thing, our quality of life is determined by quality of thoughts. If you think negatively, everything negative would happen. Be optimistic and If you think, you need immediate care, you can go to a emergency set up.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist