Suggest treatment for chronic cystitis in bladder

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have chronic cystitis in my bladder, which began three years after I had radiation for prostate cancer. The bleeding has gotten worse in the last week or so. I have been eating fresh tomatoes from my wife's garden most every day. Could there be a correlation between the increased bleeding and the tomatoes? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It contains oxalate which may potentiate renal or bladder concretions

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, increased bleeding can be due to disease itself and may be from prostate. It's direct relation to tomato can't ne established except that tomato contain oxalate which may cause increased formulations of renal or bladder concretions which can erode bladder or urinary tract walls causing bleeding. Also be cautious as of obstruction of urine if potentiate renal functions deterioration, tomato will add into it by increasing potassium levels so use these with caution and in limmited amount.

Meanwhile drink excessive amounts of water if urine output is adequate and no signs of blockage are observed to avoid clot formation with in bladder or urethra.

Also get complete blood picture done to look for hemoglobin levels and keep a very close liason with urologist to regularly monitor you for any new development in the symptoms.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj