Suggest treatment for chronic cough

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a chronic and persistent cough that occurs when I smell smoke, spices, dust etc. Also within seconds after I eat food of any kind. How should this be treated?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Extensive evaluation required

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
I do understand your pain and discomfort.

As per your history is concerned, cough can be due to GI tract induced, however there's other possibilities which needed to be ruled out in the first place, so please follow:

1) Do get a CBC with differential counts to rule out any allergy or viral infection
2) Do an Endoscopy GI tract to ruled out any pathology of of the esophagus and the stomach
3) An ultrasound whole abdomen to rule out mostly any gall bladder stone
4) Correction of Iron deficit (if any) with proper supplementation.
5) Apart from these, there's a need to get an EKG & ECHO-Cardiography done to rule out any element of heart failure

Please follow up with your doctor and also me with reports. If already done, then please upload it, you can simply upload/attach them at the reports section of this web-page.

I hope I was able to address your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to write to me.

Wishing you all the best.
Thanks
Dr U N Sahoo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee