Suggest treatment for chronic cough

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I was suffering from cough for 6 months and I was diagnoised with chest TB two years back in my left lung and i took DOTS medicines from government hospital for six months and i got rid of TB, now i feel pain when ever cough heavily,if i cough by applying pressure to my chest the pain will be less. Pain will be like something is piercing, also i feel the cold sensation in the my chest when i drink cold water. I went to a doctor two years back he gave me medicines but the problem is not resolved. Please advise me what should i do and what are the available test to further diagnose the health of the left lung
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to undergo tests like chest x-ray and sputum examination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Since you have had tb in the past and now you have persistent cough, You need to be tested for recurrence of TB.Do you also have fever, weight loss and feel very weak?You should get a chest X Ray and if required a cat scan.Your sputum has to be tested for TB bacteria. For this you need to consult a pulmonologist who can examine you and advise the tests. If tb is ruled out then there can be other causes like asthma or repeated chest infections due to post tubercular broncheactasis. Pulmonologist can look into all these issues and advise you accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad