Suggest treatment for chronic cough

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I am writing on a chronic cough dry that My wife is suffering from a long long time about 20 years. We have tried all types of remedies but to no avail. To the extent she was prescribed Roto Haler as well. I had conducted all tests as prescribed from time to time and reports are WNL. e.g. Lipid profile, Sugar tests, Creatinine, Uric acid, urea, T3, T4 TSH (all wnl). some doctor once said its due to allergy. opening of a closed almirah, incense stick, fragrance, smoke, strong odour, dust, vehicle exhaust increases it. While sleeping she coughs a lot except when sleeping turning to the right side. She takes ice cream and cold water. she is 45 years and is 5'6" but weight is 98. Looks healthy but not fat. Kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
rule out chronic bronchitis/asthma

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your problem and situation.
In my opinion you should consult pulmonologist first and get done
1. Chest x ray
2. PFT (pulmonary function test).
Chronic cough since 20 years is seen mostly in chronic bronchitis and asthma. She is also having allergy and night time coughing, this suggest possibility of asthma more.
The investigations you have mentioned, don't include chest x ray and PFT. So better to consult pulmonologist and get done these investigations and rule out asthma and chronic bronchitis.
I also want to know which rotacaps , she is using. Meter dose inhaler (MDI) are far better than rotacap and should be started in place of rotacap.
So first diagnose herself properly and then start appropriate treatment.
Please reply me answer of rotacap name,she is using, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your wife.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 37 minutes later
Thanks Dr Bhavsar. She was using the Roto-caps about 6 to 7 years back. Name I am not too sure and I need to separately get back on this. I am going to consult a pulmonologist and get back to you with findings, if any. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I will be happy to help you further.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
Yes, definitely consult pulmonologist and discuss all the thongs suggested by me in previous answer.
I will be happy to hear progress of your wife.
You can ask me directly on bit.my/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
If you are not having further queries at present, than please close the conversation and rate the answer.
Wishing good health to your wife. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju