Suggest treatment for chronic cough in an elderly person

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: Good afternoon,

My 79 year old father was taken to the emergency room with chronic coughing. At the E room they took many tests including blood cultures and chest X-Rays. The blood culture came back with bacteria but he was told it was not serious. However at CAT SCAN showed a mass on the sternum. He was was given antibiotics for the bronchitis. What specialist should he be referred to investigate this mass. He has problems sleeping at night as it feels like something is on his chest and it inhibits breathing.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is this mass in the sternum (bone)?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
If he is having mass on the sternum (bone) then you should consult orthopedic doctor and get done clinical examination of mass and if needed fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from the mass to confirm the diagnosis.
If it is in lungs then consult pulmonologist and get bronchoscopy.
So please let me know whether mass is on sternum (bone) or not.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 34 minutes later
i WILL VERIFY WHERE THE MASS IS

iT IS ON THE BONE

tHE MASS IS IN THE BONE NOT LUNGS
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
So consult orthopedic doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Since he is having bony mass, better to consult orthopedic doctor and get done clinical examination and fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) to diagnose the etiology of mass.
I want to ask few more questions to know further about his sternal mass but only if you permit.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
You can ask anything you want
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is swelling seen from outside?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your permission.
Please let me know.
1. Is this mass seen on skin? Means is there any swelling on sternum?
Please reply me answer of above asked question, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.