Suggest treatment for chronic cough and high BP

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 6 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: my husband has developed a chronic cough, lack of normal urine elimination and his blood pressure when we last checked was 181/106, can you give us any answers? We live very remote so going to a hospital is quite a trip.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lungs/prostate/urinary tract/bp to be checked as following...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns and I will try to assist your husband as following:

1. Having a chronic cough might be a sign of:
- a chronic lung infection (if he is also having difficulty in breathing)
- GERD/gastritis (is he also having heartburn especially after eating? bloating? )
- smoking (if he also smokes)

2. Lack of normal urine elimination at his age (71 years old) is a sign of possible:
- urine infection (especially if burning or pain during urination is present)
- prostate problems (enlarged prostate is common in men at his age)

Further tests are needed to determine the right diagnosis:
- urine analysis
- abdominal/uro-genital ultrasound
- digital rectal examination (to evaluate the status of prostate)

3. A bp reading of 181/106 might be a sign of high blood pressure (hbp) if he has not been diagnosed with hbp so far.

I advise to monitor his bp, record the results for future reference.

If 3 or more readings are higher than 135/90, then, should schedule an immediate appointment with his doctor or cardiologist for further evaluation (ECG, echocardiogram, etc.) and treatment.

Hope it was of help! Let me know if you have more queries!
Dr.Albana