Suggest treatment for chronic constipation
Thank you for the query at HealthcareMagic,
Chronic constipation can be something occurring by itself or as a part of other illness.
Some conditions that cause chronic constipation include hypothyroidism, diabetics, medications, irritable bowel syndrome, rarely inflammatory bowel disease etc.
Before giving a definite answer I would like to know more about your history like--
- frequency of bowel movements
- dietary habits
- daily fluid intake
- any recent weight changes
- appetite changes
- abdominal pain/cramps
- episodes of diarrhea alternating with constipation
- stool consistency, mucus/blood in stools
- cold intolerance
- skin or hair changes
- Menstrual irregularities
- any medications currently used
- history of diabetics or symptoms associated with diabetics like thirst,increased urinary frequency
- any other symptoms associated with constipation.
Please get back to me with these details.
There are few things you can try to relieve the constipation (after other causes for constipation is ruled out) like--
- drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid coffee
- diet rich in fiber like fruits and vegetables
- diet rich in probiotics like yogurt
- avoid coffee
- bulk forming laxative like psyllium
- stool softeners like dulcolax
But it is important to look for any underlying problems.
So please get back to me with those additional details.
Chronic constipation,unlikely due to other associated conditions
Thank you for following up with the details.
THese are not concerning as they are not indicative of any underlying conditions causing constipation.
I advise that you follow the life style changes that I mentioned in above answer to help relieve constipation. You can continue to drink two cups of coffee a day, which is fine. But try not to exceed more than 2 cups.
I would also like to add that exercising regularly also help with constipation.
You can also try Psyllium and stool softeners like dulcolax.
If the symptoms persist after trying these changes, then I'd recommend that you consult your primary care provider.
Hope I was able to answer your questions.
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Regards and wishing you good health,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chronic constipation and weight gain
- Streptococcus faecalis chronic constipation
- Chronic constipation and smelly stools
- Chronic constipation treatment
- Chronic constipation and weight loss
- Suggest treatment for chronic constipation caused after a caesarean section
- Chronic constipation mucus discharge stomach cramps bloating treatment options
- Treatment and cure for chronic constipation
- Treatment of chronic constipation in chf
- Chronic constipation in toddlers treatment
- Suggest treatment for chronic rhinosinusitis
- Suggest treatment for chronic constipation
- What causes severe muscle and upper body pain?
- Suggest remedies for delayed menstrual bleeding
- What causes intermittent sharp pain in the groin area while walking?
- Suggest ways to deal with behavioral volatility and emotional outbursts...
- Suggest treatment for pinched nerve spasms in the shoulders, neck and arms
- What do itchy rashes on the legs indicate?
- Suggest treatment for rashes between leg and scrotum
- What are the interactions when Bisoprolol, Amlodipine, Lisinopril and...