Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for chronic constipation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2217 Questions
I have been having right side abdomen pain for 2 1/2 years. It's always in the same spot, I think it's right over my large intestine. I have had my gallbladder checked, it was fine. I also had a ct scan I believe, where they make you drink barium, and everything came back ok. But last week I had nuts and some popcorn and I got that same pain for 3 hours, I would describe it as kind of a sharp pain. Yesterday I had a KIND bar and coffee w creamer and got the pain an hour after or so and it didn't last long. Today I have had no pain. I've had chronic constipation all my life and have started Linzess about a year ago or little longer. But it hasn't helped w the pains I get and it seems to be getting worse and more common. I notice sometimes blood floating in the toilet after I go and I didn't strain. Please give me some advice!
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
IBS&chronic constipaiton as causes...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

The pain at the same spot in your right side abdomen you are having seems to be related to IBS and chronic constipation (spasms). That is particularly true when you consume foods like nuts or popcorn that would trigger spasms of the bowel.

I suggest to run colonoscopy to exclude organic problems first.

With regards to finding blood floating in the toilet after you pass the motion, that would be related to possible:
- fissures due to chronic constipation
- hemorrhoids

In both cases, you need to take measures to reduce constipation that would trigger such problems:
- do more physical activity
- increase water consumption
- take more foods high in fiber content
- fiber supplements can help
- can use laxatives once in a while to improve the symptoms

Hope it helped!
If anything unclear, do write me back!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chronic constipation 10 minutes later
Is it strange that i have had chronic constipation all my life and have only recently dveloped the pains (2 1/2 yrs ago)? Sometimes when Im working out or working in the yard (im pretty active, 115 pounds and no kids) i get that pain almost like it is being stretched. Also, what foods would cause those spasms? Do you know if there are any health risks to taking Linzess?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Colonoscopy needed to exclude organic issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

As you have a previous history of chronic constipation, then, further investigations are recommended to understand why you are having pain since 2 1/2 years ago. I recommend to run colonoscopy to exclude organic problems that might cause pain.

It is also true that certain foods/drinks can cause intestinal spasms, for example: fried foods, chillies, alcohol, stress, etc.

With regards to health risks related to taking Linzess, until now, none has been reported as life-threatening or serious effects. The most common side effects noted include: diarrhea or allergic reaction as per any other drug.

For the time being, I do not recommend to take Linzess, but to :
- continue healthy changes in your diet and lifestyle regimen
- less laxative intake
- use prune juice and olive oil on daily basis

and see the results.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor