Suggest treatment for chronic back pain while treating sciatica

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I am having back pain from last 1 year. The Doctor diagnosed it as sciatica. I then undergone a surgery done by a neurosurgeon where he slightly trimmed the disc, But again the pain has started after 4 months of treatment and its very severe.have taken NSAIDS and steroids but its of no use. Consulted a Orthopedician he suggested of removal of Disc.Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI may confirm the disc condition-rquirement for surgery or conservative

Detailed Answer:

Disc herniation has to be determined on MRI spine whether partial bulge or complete tear of annular ring around it and if the herniation is irritating any nerve root then certainly discectomy may be indicated. MRI also gives complete picture of facet joints, foramina and condition of spinal canal and orthopedicians may work out a plan accordingly and also type and extent of surgery necessary.
Partial indentations are often managed conservatively without surgery.

In other words, I would decide on the future course of action based on latest MRI finding. You can review the scans (if you are unable to upload it to me) with another orthopedic surgeon and decide the course of action.

I believe if the last surgeon has advised surgery, he may have ascertained the extent of pathology.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sunil Kumar Srivastava

Orthopaedic Surgeon