Suggest treatment for chronic abdominal pain

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My husband has been dealing with chronic stomach pain for the last 6 months. He has had a colonoscopy , upper GI, CT scan with contrast and they found nothing. Then they sent him to a muscle specialist he seemed to think my husband tore his stomach muscle. He gave him a steroid shot that seemed to help him for 4-5 days and then the pain returned. We went back to him three weeks later he gave him another steroid shot but did not help at all. It hurts so bad now everyday that he has a hard time standing up. What else can I do to try to help him? I will just tell you his faith in doctors have gone out the window.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EUS can be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

First of all please note that it is very hard to help him from the point of this service especially that he has already seen many doctors.
In my opinion, there is one test missing. Its a test called EUS. It is done through the gastroscopy to see the pancreas (its more accurate than CT is). In rare cases, pancreas lesion can give such chronic pain right deep inside the abdomen.

Did he have any blood work done? If so can you please attach the report? Did they find anything in the gastroscopy (like distended stomach, or more than usual fluid inside the stomach).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.