• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cholecystitis

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: hi my husband has just been dig. withcholecystitis. what kind of treatment is needed for him and will he have to have gall bladder removed? YYYY@YYYY thank you l
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. The decision about surgery is not easy in his case. From your description it seems that his infection has spread to blood causing sepsis. If his gallbladder is a source of this infection, its removal will help for sure. However if something else is the source of infection, surgery can be to risky and antibiotics may give better result. His symptoms should help in making this decision. If his abdomen is painful in the gallbladder area and there is hard gallbladder palpated, surgery and gallbladder removing is necessary. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon