• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cholangiocarcinoma

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Cancer
Question: Hello doctor, good day...
. My dad was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma and he underwent a surgery to get the left lobe of the liver too removed along with the bile ducts. He was recovering well post operatively but since some days started having shivering suddenly and then evening rise in temp.
He is still in hosp and they repeated MRI and urine and blood tests which all came back normal. Now they have taken blood for culture.
He is being given Avil injection along with paracetamol whenever he gets the shivering. Is it advisable to give avil injections since he had a liver surgery.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Avil.can be given

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I understand your concern. Avil can be given , there is no harm. However, the likely cause of shivering and fever is sepsis and infection and that needs to be addressed by adding antibiotics support. Blood culture should be sent in pair to look for infection.
Thanks and rwgards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 hour later
Thank you doctor for the reply. But his wound has healed well and the stitches have been removed. There is no pain or any kind of discharge. But we are worried why there is evening rise of temp and before that he gets severe shivering. Malaria test has come negative too.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Its due to bloodstream infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello. It is likely due to bloodstream infection commonly seen in cancer patients. Antibiotics are must.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist