Suggest treatment for chills, night sweats, fever and cough

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I felt chills and sweaty during the night and had a 101.3 fever. I have a mild cough with some mucus. And am still experiencing chills and hot when I cover up. I am having surgery mo day so I can't take any blood thinners. What should I take to get better before surgery? The fever is only 99.5 now
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
rest, fluids, mucolytics, acetaminophen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The symptoms are most likely due to a viral infection.

Unfortunately you can only use acetaminophen (the tylenol) because all of other antipyretics have the potential to act as blood thinners (ibuprofen, diclofenac)

Medications are available to help decrease your symptoms but not to help get rid of the virus unfortunately.

You should continue the fluids, particularly cool and cold liquids to help reduce the temperature.
A mucolytic would help break up the mucus so that it can be expelled easier such as guaifenesin, bisolvan, mucomyst. The fluids would also to decrease the thickness of the mucus.

Chills are an attempt of the body to adjust the temperature upwards if you cover up too much, then this can potentially cause the temperature to increase further.

You need to rest, rest and rest, this would be the best way to help your body recoup and heal

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions