• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chigger bites

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I was bit by a chigger while in Florida on May 17th, 2017. Since then, I have had severe allergic type effects. I went to the doctor who gave me a steroid shot and a steroid zpak to take. My symptoms still continue. I have rashes all over my body and my neck hurts. I had a blood test taken on 6/28/17 and I'm waiting for the results. I had them test me for all basic blood panel stuff as well as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Lyme. I haven't been put on antibiotics yet, but I think I need to possibly. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like typical allergy. But blood tests will confirm or rule out.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I saw your photos.

The lesions you have seem to me like typical allergy.

Chigger bites does not make a person allergic.

On the other side, sometimes allergies can not react to steroids if you still continue to have contact with the allergen that caused the allergy. Try to think carefully what are you eating or doing differently these times, that might be keeping the possible allergy active.

On a another note, the tests will tell for sure if the it is not an allergy but a parasitic or bacterial infection. I guess you have done the CBC- if it shows elevation of any of white blood cells or eosinophils, then you can confirm that it is
something else other then just allergy. Feel free to follow up with me if you want and I can review the blood tests results and advice accordingly.

I hope this helps to reassure you a bit.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako