• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chickenpox

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

This is regarding one of the pimple like thing on the back of my neck (Right side). My worry is that can it be Chicken pox or Shingles. Please note that I got Chicken pox 10 Months back. Can Chicken Pox or Shingle re occur within 10 Months?

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload a few images

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
It is very rare for chicken pox to recur within 10 months of an earlier episode unless there is underlying immunosuppression. Shingles too though rare so early after an episode of chicken pox can happen anytime after infection with the chicken pox virus.
I request you to kindly upload a few good quality images of the skin lesion so that I am able to guide you better. You may upload images in "Reports Section".

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advise. I attached couple of photos of the area. Also, Just thought to inform that I started having pain in my right side of the forehead around 1 years 2 Months back. As per the Doctor few Months back, the pain could have been because of Postherpatic Neuralgia. I am little worried if this can be Chicken pox re occuring after postherpatic neuralgia or if it is just a blind pimple which is taking some time to heal.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle. Apply topical antibacterial ointment

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you. I have viewed the images.

This seems like a furuncle which is a bacterial skin and soft tissue infection. I suggest you to apply a topical antibacterial ointment e.g mupirocin 2% ointment (T-Bact Ointment), twice daily for a week.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist