Suggest treatment for chicken pox

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Solutions to chickenpox
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral antivirals + paracetamol for fever+ topical calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.

Treatment for chicken pox Or Varicella is with an Oral antiviral e.g acyclovir Or valacyclovir for a week, specially in adults. As compared to children, adults usually have a higher risk of systemic complications like hepatitis, pneumonitis, encephalitis and therefore should always be started on antivirals.

Topically you may continue with a soothing lotion e.g calamine lotion.

A tablet of paracetamol can be taken for fever, whenever required.