Suggest treatment for chicken pox

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Tue, 27 May 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello. My daughter just rang that my nearly 4 year old grandson has diagnosed chickenpox which is now being aggravated by another rash which is on his neck and tummy. The raised pinkish welts are from half a centimeter to larger areas. It sounds perhaps like hives. She is concerned but is not on the internet. Her son has not slept or eaten well for a couple of days. Is this normal with chickenpox?
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it can be.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to HealthcareMagic.
I am Dr Aslam here to help you.
Chicken pox is usually a simple self-limited condition in children(unlike in adults) without frequent complications and faster recovery.Anyhow,it is associated with fever,malaise,low apatite,and itching of the lesions(which disturbs sleeping) during initial days of rash eruption.It usually comes down in 3-4 days of treatment with antipyretics,antihistamincs(to relieve itching and promote sleeping),and sometimes antiviral drugs.Your treating doctor will guide you.You need not worry.
Keep the following things in mind to speed up recovery.
1)Adequate bed rest is highly recommended.
2)Have a light diet with plenty of fruits and veges,and enough oral fluids.
3)Avoiding breaking up of blisters,and daily soft bathing prevents secondary infection.
4)Keep the room well ventilated.
I hope I have answered your query.If you have further questions,I will be happy to help you.
Wishing your kid a faster cure.Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj