Suggest treatment for chicken pox scars on face

Posted on Wed, 1 Oct 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,
I had Chicken Pox almost 2 weeks ago.After I recovered from it a around 30-40 scars appeared on my face.I went to a dermatologist and tried Niltan cream for reducing the appearance of the scars and Sucral cream for reducing the holes.I have also tried some natural procedures like coconut water,honey and aloe vera gel.But nothing is working.I am a bit scared about the chemical peel and laser.Can you please help me?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Laser therapy + Dermaroller

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for posting on HCM.
I can understand your apprehension regarding chicken pox scars and I will try my best to answer your query in a rightful way.

Chicken pox scars are pretty challenging to treat and treatment comes with variable results.
More importantly the fact is no topical medications are going to help in removing scars. So I would insist to you stop using them.
Only tretinoin or glycolic acid based creams can help to some extent but the results are very subtle and unpredictable and works for very mild scars only.

Therefore, I would suggest you to go for laser therapy (Fractional Co2 laser, Non-ablative RF etc) as it has the best results of all other treatment modalities. Moreover, if additionally treated with Dermaroller or 100%TCA peel (CROSS technique), pretty appreciable results can be achieved.

Hope this will take care of your query.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Wish you best of health.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
M.D Dermatology

Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 49 minutes later
Thank You for the reply.

I was also advised by the dermatologist that I should probably get a chemical peel done after 2 weeks.

But the doctor didn't mentioned the type of peel.As per the doctor chemical peel will reduce the appearance of the scars and after that laser to reduce the holes.

I searched in internet and found the side effects of chemical peel such as permanent damage to the skin.

Can you let me know which chemical peel will be best suited for chicken pox and what are the risks involved in the peel?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
---

Detailed Answer:
There are no long term side effects of chemical peels and they do not damage your skin on the contrary they bring about regeneration and rejuvenation of your skin.
For scars, chemical peeling per se is a weak option but there is a specific technique of chemical peeling called CROSS that can be done in your case.
CROSS stands for chemical reconstruction of skin scars where with help of wooden applicator concerntrated trichloracetic acid (100%) is applied focally over scars only.
Mutliple such sessions are required for good results and they are carried out at 2-3 weeks intervals.
As such there are no risks but the skin becomes very sensitive after chemical peeling thus proper use of sunscreen and moisturiser is must on regular basis.

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist