Suggest treatment for chicken pox in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor
My son having chicken pox fro last two days and he is not well he is crying badly with fever so please guide me how to take care he is now 10 month
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acyclovir an antiviral will help

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Chickenpox at this age is uncommon as the antibodies transferred from mother protect till 1 year of age.
First of all I would request you to consult a pediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis as there are few other conditions which may look like chicken pox.
If it is chicken pox giving acyclovir an antiviral will help in prevention of complication and also in decreasing the severity of condition. Acyclovir should be given within 72 hours of onset of rashes.
Baby may cry because of itching, burning, fever. Along with acyclovir, paracetamol for fever, hydroxyzine(for itching), calamine lotion for skin lesion. Antibiotic may also be needed if there are signs of bacterial infection .Give feeds frequently along with plenty of fluids.
So please consult a pediatrician for evaluation of baby and prescription of medication.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng