Suggest treatment for chest pain when suffering from acid reflux

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Have acid reflux. Had stomach issues (colitis) been taken metronidazole, palpations off & on, which have made me a but anxious.Vomited last night then felt faint. Currently dealing with chest pain , top left of breast .. What is this pain coming from? It comes off & on.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Metronidazole can cause vomiting & nausea.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your chest pain can be most likely from gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux. Even metronidazole can cause nausea and vomiting. But as you have palpitation it is better to take an ECG to rule out cardiac problems.

Taking proton pump inhibitors like Esomeprazole and motility enhancers like domperidone will be helpful in such case. Esomeprazole is available as over the counter in brand Nexium.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 20 minutes later
I have been dehydrated off & on plus anxious since having colitis ..wonder could that be a cause of palpatations
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In dehydration or electrolyte imbalance also palpitation is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Thank you for your follow up query.

In case of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance palpitation is possible. Diarrhea can cause these both also. Taking tender coconut water, fruit juices , butter milk or ORS will be helpful in such case.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 28 minutes later
Thanks for the advice! Very helpful plus i am following up with my primary dr. i will mention everything to him , as well
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.

Wishing you a fast healing.
Let me know if you have any further queries.
I am happy to help you any time.
Thanks.
Dr. Nishad BN