Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for chest pain from codtocondritis

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi I have chronic severe chest pain from codtocondritis. I have had a bone scan, chest X-ray, full blood work and do weekly intense accupuncture... Nothing shows or helps Have tried anti inflammatory meds (naproxen and arthrotec) and oxycodone and none offer pain relief. It used to be a semi annual occurrence now it's become chronic...I have had it everyday except for four days since December and 8 occurrences in the fall each lasting 5-7 days. I am investigating seeing a pain specialist for botox you know of any other options/avenues I could try as this is very debilitating. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Other options could be- Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Your case of costochondritis seems to be refractory. It can be treated with local injections of combined lidocaine (Xylocaine)/corticosteroid into costochondral areas. If still there is no response to medical therapy, surgical removal of the sore cartilage may be required . I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for chest pain from codtocondritis 50 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. What type of specialist do you recommend I see? I am not getting any helpful direction from my GP so I am having to self direct my care to try and find a solution. I have seen a rheumatologist with no success/ results. Have you personally seen long term pain relief with the injection solution?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to consult an orthopaedician. Detailed Answer: Hi, You need to consult an orthopaedician.In my clinical practice I have seen my patient having good long term pain relief with local injections of combined lidocaine (Xylocaine)/corticosteroid in refractory cases. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. Wishing you speedy recovery.....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor