Suggest treatment for chest pain and painful choking sensation

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: About 15 Years ago I had a hiatal hernia. I thought it was better. Around a week ago while drinking a fruit ice slushy I felt a painful choking sensation as if food wouldnt go down, with upper stomach/ chest pain. It subsided after around 5 long minutes. It felt Like I needed to burp but was unable. Last night I had a similar sensation at dinner (unable to eat) except I have pain in upper stomach now everytime I try to swallow (about 3-4 seconds after swallowing) even small bites or saliva. Could this be the hernia? What should I do to help?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. You are reporting to have upper stomach pain and difficulties in swallow foods.
Since you have XXXXXXX diagnosed with hiatal hernia too , your symptoms may be related with :
- acid reflux and ezofagitis.
2. At this point I would suggest to do upper endoscopy to better evaluate the esophagus and stomach mucosa.\
3. meantime I would suggest to :
- use PPI like rabeprazole or pantoprazole
- use antacids like gaviscon
- avoid coffee, spicy foods and carbonated drinks
- use two pillows when you lay down
Hope it was helpful to you.
DR.Klerida