Suggest treatment for chest pain and back ache in a patient with chicken pox

Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello doctor, i just found out that I have a chicken pox for the 2nd tim3 in my life. First one was when I was a child. I went to the doctor a few hours after I mailed my first inquiry. They gave me acyclovir 400mg 5 times a day, anti hestamine twice a day & tylenol 600mg for fever. I didnt take thr tylenol since I dont have a fever, i took anti hestamine once yesterday but I've been taking the acyclovir diligently & almost finished my 2nd bed of it. I told the doctor in thr hospital that I can't handle more than 25mg dose but then I think he doesnt understand much (Thai) & now im suffering from a chest pain & back ache, my mouth tastes sweet. Do you know how to fix this? I dont want to take any meds please. I cant go out since this is my 3rd day of having the pox. My blisters are starting to turn brown. Is it a good sign? PLEASE HELP!
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest you to take acyclovir.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM
I understand your concern and situation.

You have been taking correct treatment. Yes you need to complete the dose of acyclovir for 5 days.Sometimes what you are having is nothing but non specific side effects of drug. Pantaprazole or omeprazole once daily will help you. The problem will wane off soon. Yes your scabs are healing and is good sign. Drink plenty of water. Drink a soup of your choice 2-3 times a day it will help you getting rid off your metallic taste.Do not catch your scabs. Take adequate rest for about a week. Acyclovir does not cure chickenpox, but it makes the symptoms less severe.

Hope I answered your query.
You can take a follow up query.
Rating and review will be appreciated.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Sheetal Verma 1 hour later
Yes, the acyclovir is working but my back is so painful, I can hardly sleep & get the rest that I want. I've different position in bed, now working. I still feel pain & uncomfy. I stopped taking acyclovir after lunch today because the pain just gets worse. I've been drinking plenty of water, it slightly helps the taste. Would you please recommend me another possible solution of me getting better without taking this med? It's just too much for my body because I'm not use of taking drugs if I get sick.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain killers advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If you are not able to tolerate medicine then you may stop the drug. You can take centrally acting pain killer like gabapentin after doctors prescription to get relief from pain. Take adequate rest and visit a doctor for evaluation and proper examination of your back pain if pain is aggravating. Take mulivitamins and calcium supplements.

Best of health.