Suggest treatment for chest pain after accidentally inhaling a piece of hash brown

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I inhaled a small piece of hash brown 25 hours ago. Today my left lung has some pain. Will that food work it's way out, or does it need to be taken out?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you inhaled through nose?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Honestly speaking, I don't think you have aspirated food particle in lungs.
Our body's anatomy is such that aspiration in lungs is very difficult.
So please let me know
1. Did you inhaled through nose or through mouth?
Please reply me answer of above asked question, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 27 minutes later
I inhaled it and afterwards my breathing capacity was 75%. I tried to cough it up but couldn't get it out. This aggravated my hiatal hernia and GERD. My question is this comma will this food dissolve on its own or must it be taken out? And am I hurting myself by not acting on this sooner face-to-face in an emergency room? I'm pretty good right now but I don't want to be lazy or silly
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it won't dissolve by its own.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
If you are sure that it is in the lungs then it won't dissolve.
You need to take it out by bronchoscopy.
May I know
1. What was the approximate size of that particle?
2. How can you be so sure that it is in lungs?
3. Did you have bronchoscopy?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
I do not know where it is ; it feels like a pain in my left lung. I don't know the exact size either. The 2 previous answers have not been very helpful. You give the shortest replys without providing much information. I tried to contact you to be wise. If there is something in my lung can a doctor hear that by listening to my chest or is it possible to stay lodged in some capacity in the lungs. I am not coughing but I have continual discomfort for the most part

I meant lodged in the trachea and no I have not had any procedure done or seen a doctor

I cannot be sure it is in the lungs
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This depends on size of particle.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
This depends on size of particle.
If size is more it can block the Airway and cause distal collapse. Then doctor can hear by stethoscope.
If particle size is small, it won't give any immediate abnormality. So doctor can not hear immediately. These small particles, gradually cause inflammation and granuloma formation in the lung. And this can be hear by doctor.
Your left sided chest pain can be due to other reason because you are not coughing and coughing is the first symptom of particle in the lungs.
Hiatus hernia and GERD can also cause left sided chest pain. This can be the cause.
Sometimes heart diseases can also cause left sided chest pain.
Do you have hypertension or diabetes?
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.