Suggest treatment for chest infection

Posted on Mon, 7 Jul 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My husband did a sputum test came back positive to TB now he as a chest infection,he also as bronciesitic 7 copd,the consultant wants 3 more sputums which as gone to the hospital,he his coughing a load off sputum which is creamy brown,my immume system is low will I have to be tested as well.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chest X ray, IDR, clinical review

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this should be a call for concern especially as Tuberculosis is an infectious disease, and transmitted through droplet infection (air, droplets, moisture).

The X ray results are important for one can have characteristic Tb X ray findings though without any coughing nor spitting of blood.

It is very imperative for you to get evaluated for this infection. A chest X ray, an Erythrocyte Sedimentation rate (ESR), a Tuberculin Skin test and a clinical review, with major insights to your recent weight, cough, appetite, night sweating and temperature patterns would be very informative.

Tuberculosis is a T cell mediated immune response disease. I agree with you, with respect to the fact that you need a proper evaluation and testing for this condition.Thanks and kind regards.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain