Suggest treatment for chest infection and wheezing

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son is 22 months old and weighs 13 kg..
He is having cold and sometimes that leads to infections in chest.(2 times he got admitted in hospital due to chest congestion).
So our pediatrician suggested the following course for him in case of cold..
1) Deriphylin + Sal mucolite - 4 times (in case of chest congestion)
2) LC Kid (Montelukast) initial stage..if not cured medicines at first stage should be used.
3) for temperature control - Calpol (5 times a day).
For cough.. Asthalin
Whether these medcines are advisable for a kid of his age..
Now whenever he gets cold we start with LC Kid (montelukast) AND calpol.
If not reduced then Deriphylin and Salmucolite...dosage..is that right.. he advised us to make him lot of water. In case he hesitate .. he advised us to give him 7 up / Sprite (all airated drinks with lemon flavour).
Whether all these are advisable for a kid.. pls guide me..
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a wheezing phenotype

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Greetings from XXXXXXX
By what you quote I feel what your kid could be having viral associated wheeze or multi triggered wheeze. I have a few questions for you -
Questions:
1. How many days per month does she cough or feel breathless?
2. How many nights per month does her sleep get disturbed due to above symptoms?
3. Does she feel breathless when she runs around or plays with other kids?
4. Are the symptoms when there are seasonal changes?
5. Is there any family history of asthma or any other sort of allergies like skin allergy etc.?
6. Is the cough always associated with fever?

If your answer is yes for any of the above questions, your kid might be having viral associated wheezing or multi triggered wheezing and I suggest you meet a paediatric pulmonologist who is near your place.

No point in using oral medicines every time. It may cause faster heart rate.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,