• question-icon

Suggest treatment for chest infection and semi-hardening of bronchial vessels

Posted on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: respected doctor, hello doctor ll I am a lab chemist by profession. I often catch chest infection which is not countered by normal medications like lower dosages of antibiotics and expectorant cobination treat or it takes longer times to get cured. many a times the normal breathing is not restored. I am 68 yrs old not retired, during lungs exam semi hardening of bonco vessels reported. Pl. suggest long term solution
.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Deep breathing exercises, steam inhalation and nutritional improvement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Semihardening of bronchial vessels is related to old age. As age increases, calcification will occur in the vessels, resulting in hardening. Also called as arteriosclerlosis. It is normal.
2. Good to know, you are doing regular exercises. This will help in improving respiratory capacity.
3. Importantly deep breathing exercises is very important. Like Pranayama, which could help in improving lung capacity.
4. Not sure about previous history of smoking, or exposure to polluted air. However, if present, needs to be stopped. Exposure to polluted air is most important risk factor for lung damage.
5. Usually upper respiratory infection, if not controlled on time, progresses onto chest or lower respiratory tract infection. Any cold, dry cough needs to be aggressively managed through decongestants, antihistamines, steam inhalation and salt water gargling. If fever starts, antibiotics maybe started. If not controlled, it can progress to lower respiratory tract infection.

Long term solutions include:
a. Regular deep breathing exercises and steam inhalation, once a day to lyse any mucus build up will help in improving breathing. (At least 3-4 times a week)
b. Nutritional buildup to improve immunity is essential. Protein rich diet and Vitamin A will help in improving immunity, particularly in respiratory tract. Also need to maintain good hydration.
c. Weight reduction, if possible needs to be tried. As the abdominal cavity reduces, the chest cavity space would increase.

Hope you are no suffering from any chronic lung diseases or diabetes mellitus.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist