• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for chest infection and semi-hardening of bronchial vessels

Posted on Tue, 14 Jul 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: respected doctor, hello doctor ll I am a lab chemist by profession. I often catch chest infection which is not countered by normal medications like lower dosages of antibiotics and expectorant cobination treat or it takes longer times to get cured. many a times the normal breathing is not restored. I am 68 yrs old not retired, during lungs exam semi hardening of bonco vessels reported. Pl. suggest long term solution
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Deep breathing exercises, steam inhalation and nutritional improvement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Semihardening of bronchial vessels is related to old age. As age increases, calcification will occur in the vessels, resulting in hardening. Also called as arteriosclerlosis. It is normal.
2. Good to know, you are doing regular exercises. This will help in improving respiratory capacity.
3. Importantly deep breathing exercises is very important. Like Pranayama, which could help in improving lung capacity.
4. Not sure about previous history of smoking, or exposure to polluted air. However, if present, needs to be stopped. Exposure to polluted air is most important risk factor for lung damage.
5. Usually upper respiratory infection, if not controlled on time, progresses onto chest or lower respiratory tract infection. Any cold, dry cough needs to be aggressively managed through decongestants, antihistamines, steam inhalation and salt water gargling. If fever starts, antibiotics maybe started. If not controlled, it can progress to lower respiratory tract infection.

Long term solutions include:
a. Regular deep breathing exercises and steam inhalation, once a day to lyse any mucus build up will help in improving breathing. (At least 3-4 times a week)
b. Nutritional buildup to improve immunity is essential. Protein rich diet and Vitamin A will help in improving immunity, particularly in respiratory tract. Also need to maintain good hydration.
c. Weight reduction, if possible needs to be tried. As the abdominal cavity reduces, the chest cavity space would increase.

Hope you are no suffering from any chronic lung diseases or diabetes mellitus.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2138 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Dry cough

doctor1 MD

My wife have a dry cough and Max hospital s doctor told him that it is sarcoidosis . He suggested the DEFCORT 12mg after breakfast. After taking...

doctor1 MD

3.10 yr old daughter lately had vomiting episode which is followed by loss in apetite....lot of blurps...u/s shows some intestinal...

doctor1 MD

Dear sir, my son 10 years old had fever past one week, he having running nose,some time blocked nose, and dry cough,and he feeling tried,and not...

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. Grief. I have been taking Cefzil for 5 days now for a sinus infection and albuterol for 3 days for heavinness in my chest and chest pain. I...

doctor1 MD

I've had a cold from runny nose since Thanksgiving in the U.S. to now a cough the past four days. I lost my voice and its been about three days....

doctor1 MD

I had a dental crown done 3 weeks ago. The day after I had a white tongue and congestion in my throat and chest. I also have had a dry cough over a...

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
  • Q - Suggest treatment for constipation

  • Q - What are symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's disease?

  • Q - Suggest the type of specialist to consult for brooke-spielger syndrome

  • Q - Suggest treatment for low hemoglobin and high TSH levels

  • Q - What causes fluctuating body temperature after pneumonia?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain and constipation

  • Q - What causes nausea and pain when suffering from esophagitis?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain after suffering from shingles

  • Q - Suggest treatment for aspiration problem

  • Q - What causes loss of sense of taste?