Suggest treatment for chest congestion and cold

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I am a 57 year old male with very few health issues. In the past I might get a cold once a year. Last summer I developed a cough, ignored it, tried to work through it. Eventually, I went to an er and was treated for acute bronchitis with anti biotics and cough syrup. The problem went away. Since that time, perhaps 8 months, I have been down with head/chest colds 4 times. I recently started a daily probiotic in an attempt to build up my immune system, thinking that the antibiotics had weakened me somehow. However, here I am with a cold again. I'm wondering if it might be a symptom of something more serious.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be most likely due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be most likely due to allergy from some thing you exposes like dust , pollens or moulds or some unknown agents or unknown internal allergens.
Avoid contact with usual allergens like dust , moulds, pollens and cold air.

You can also take Cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10 mg once daily. Taking Vitamin C 100 mg daily is also good. These all you can get over the counter.

If there is no improvement then consult a chest physician. You might have to go for Chest X-ray , Spirometry test , Sputum AFB and allergy test if required in that case.

Do you smoke?
If yes how many years you have smoked?
And if smoking Still continue smoking or not?
Is the cough associated with sputum? and color of sputum?
Do you feel breathlessness? If yes , Is it more on night time?

Let me know if anything not clear.
I'll be happy to help you.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee