Suggest treatment for chemical burns on the ankle

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 in Lump
Question: I was painting cabinets doors outside when I knocker over a lacquer thinner can and spilled it on my ankle. It soaked into my sock so it irritated that area all day. The next morning that area of the ankle was red, burned and irritated. What's the best treatment. Even peroxide burns that area.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please post a clear and focused pictures.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Lacquer thinner is a product made up of solvents such as ethyl alcohol, ethyl acetate and toluene which give the skin reaction on contact or sort of a chemical burn.
I am sure you must have rinsed the area with plenty of water.
Development of a rash means there is contact dermatitis and you may choose to keep it under observation and consult your Doctor to get clinical evaluation and examination and also to get a prescription based oral antihistamine and steroids to reduced the reaction asap.
Do not apply Neosporin as it is anti-bacterial.
Please post clear and focused photos as it may help me to have on-the-spot diagnosis and assist you better.
Please feel free to ask any further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj